Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 134

Thread: GOP and Swift boat politics

  1. #111
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Counts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said I agree.......IMHO most of his supporters are voteing against Bush as opposed to For Obama.</div></div>
    Not exactly against Bush, but against Bush policy which McCain has voted with 90% of the time.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  2. #112
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Counts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't get "nailed". I posted something to get a reaction from certain posters on here that I called before I hit the submit button. Sure enough...it worked, I got the reaction I was looking for...so deal with it.

    Racism's wrong folks, whether you're Obama or Powell--doesn't matter what side of the aisle someone's one. Racism though, unfortunately, isn't looked at as a form of hate that we should shun anymore--it's morphed into a way to be offended and a tool to make someone backpedal off of something they say that could be taken as "racist", when a racist meaning/intent was not meant.

    It's flat wrong to use something like that as a "convenience" to down someone--not because it's an unfair tactic that ignores the crux of what that person is actually saying--but mainly because there's nothing funny, ironic, or convenient about hundreds of years of putting down someone just because they're "different".

    I think that was a nice little case study that showed me a lot about how some people view racial topics. I'll remember that going forward. </div></div>


    LOL say it however you want but YOU put your foot in your mouth and all the doubble speak in the world will not fix it.</div></div>

    Believe what you want buddy--I knew what would happen when I put the shoe on the other foot, and sure enough--look what happened...bing-bang-boom--the people who were being apologists for racism against Obama suddenly got offended when that scope got turned on Powell/Rice.

    It's racist either way--that much we can agree upon--I made the point I was looking to make.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  3. #113
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    I think his color did help him in getting elected. The Clintons had a huge african american following, yet lost a big percentage of that vote in the primaries to Obama.

    Either way, both Dem figureheads were running on change, so you can throw out that as the reasoning. Hiliary got a lot of women votes that Obama didn't so I guess you will call me sexist as well as racist even though it is common reasoning.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #114
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the people who were being apologists for racism against Obama suddenly got offended when that scope got turned on Powell/Rice.
    </div></div>

    I never once appologized for anything like that. I still ain't real sure what point you were trying to make.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  5. #115
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheBeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the people who were being apologists for racism against Obama suddenly got offended when that scope got turned on Powell/Rice.
    </div></div>

    I never once appologized for anything like that. I still ain't real sure what point you were trying to make. </div></div>

    Apologist =/= making apoligies--it means, connotatively, to defend or explain away someone else's mistake on their behalf--to make excuses for it to convince others it wasn't wrong.

    The point was that those who said it's not "racist" to say that Obama got the nomination and may get the presidency just because he's black seemed to be a lot of the same ones who reacted in a highly offended manner when I said the same thing basically about Powell/Rice. The only difference? The (D) and the (R).
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  6. #116
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    Never got offended, and I don't believe any of the others were offended by it either. We were all pointing out a pot calling the kettle black scenario.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  7. #117
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheBeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the people who were being apologists for racism against Obama suddenly got offended when that scope got turned on Powell/Rice.
    </div></div>

    I never once appologized for anything like that. I still ain't real sure what point you were trying to make. </div></div>

    Apologist =/= making apoligies--it means, connotatively, to defend or explain away someone else's mistake on their behalf--to make excuses for it to convince others it wasn't wrong.

    The point was that those who said it's not "racist" to say that Obama got the nomination and may get the presidency just because he's black seemed to be a lot of the same ones who reacted in a highly offended manner when I said the same thing basically about Powell/Rice. The only difference? The (D) and the (R). </div></div>



    But reading the posts it looks like you are sure tring to play BOTH sides of this thing IMHO Neather side can have it both ways.

    To me it looks like you were tring to redirect the argument after several were calling Reps racist and that they would "NEVER" nomanate a Black person for office....then Powell was brout up and insted of conseading the point you redirected the attack (Good job you may have a future in politics [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] )

  8. #118
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheBeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the people who were being apologists for racism against Obama suddenly got offended when that scope got turned on Powell/Rice.
    </div></div>

    I never once appologized for anything like that. I still ain't real sure what point you were trying to make. </div></div>

    Apologist =/= making apoligies--it means, connotatively, to defend or explain away someone else's mistake on their behalf--to make excuses for it to convince others it wasn't wrong.

    The point was that those who said it's not "racist" to say that Obama got the nomination and may get the presidency just because he's black seemed to be a lot of the same ones who reacted in a highly offended manner when I said the same thing basically about Powell/Rice. The only difference? The (D) and the (R). </div></div>

    One difference that I might note in the subjects used in your analogy is elected vs. selected officials. Just a note.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  9. #119
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    Powell is the GOP case in point. He could easily win the election, but wasn't even in the primaries to my knowledge...a bunch of rich white guys were tho.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  10. #120
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP and Swift boat politics

    Powell has never ran, and seems to not want the position. Stand up guy that I would love to see run, but I really think he wants to avoid mudslinging or attacking someones character, and therefore avoid any type of elected position. I hope he does one day though. He would be the best candidate IMO in the last 50-100 years.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •